Keeping The Tradition Alive
My mom was never big on baking, but cranberry bread has been a holiday staple for as long as I can remember. She’d even make mini loaves of it to give to my teachers way back in the day. While I don’t typically crave fruit and nut bread, there’s something incredibly satisfying about this cranberry treat.
There might be nothing more festive than a loaf of cranberry bread. As much as I love my cookies and chocolates, a slice of fruit and nut bread is a necessity around the holidays. Dotted with rich cranberry red and with bursts of citrus and tang from the orange and cranberries, it’s just full-on holidays in your mouth. Yum!
Tradition with a Twist
I decided to add a bit of ginger because I’m obsessed. Plus I figured this recipe would turn out really well with just a few healthifying swaps, so it’s paleo, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free of course. And it’s oh so delicious!
This recipe uses all natural ingredients and no refined sugar of course, and it’s got fruit and nuts in it. So obviously it’s healthy. But for real, cranberries contain powerful antioxidants, are packed with nutrients, and have anti-cancer benefits, UTI prevention, and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Plus this recipe adds in a little extra ginger and the almond flour adds some protein and healthy fats plus omega-3s from the flax boost the anti-inflammatory benefits. While it’s still a treat, it swaps out ingredients that tend to cause inflammation for those with health-promoting properties, so it’s indulgence-without-the-guilt!
Paleo Cranberry Bread
Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free recipe for a holiday favorite!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/8 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp monk fruit or can skip and add more honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp raw honey add more if skipping monk fruit, or skip to make vegan. may use maple syrup or coconut sugar as alternatives
- 1/8 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp grated orange
- 1 flax egg soak 1 tbsp ground flax seed in 3 tbsp water for 5 minutes
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger or crystallized ginger for added sweetness may replace with 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 cup course chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/8 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts)
Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x4in loaf pan with parchment paper.
Thoroughly mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Mix flax, orange juice, honey and coconut oil in a medium bowl.
Add wet ingredients to dry and just combine. Fold in cranberries and nuts and transfer to the loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour. Let cool slightly before removing from the pan.
For more healthified holiday-inspired recipes, check these out:
- Warm Kale Squash Salad with Rosemary Vinaigrette
- Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce
- Baked Delicata Squash with Paleo Stuffing
Comments Off on Cranberry Bread: Paleo Vegan Recipe