My cauliflower makeover
I’ll be honest. I wrote off cauliflower for years because it isn’t green. I didn’t get the point of white broccoli – if I was going to eat the vegetable, it may as well be the green version. But my perception of cauliflower has undergone a total transformation – extreme makeover edition. Cauliflower is hands down the most versatile vegetable I’m aware of, and it has opened me up to a whole new level of healthy eating. At this point, I’m basically obsessed with it.
I’ve experimented with cauliflower pizza crust, dabbled with cauliflower rice, and had some major kitchen wins with both paleo and vegan versions of cauliflower potatoes – or as my sister named them: Fotatos. I’m in love with cauliflower’s creamy capabilities when boiled and blended, and am constantly imagining new ways to incorporate it into dishes.
And yes, even though it isn’t green, it really is just as nutritious as its cruciferous cousins. Its health benefits are as various as its uses, earning it the honorary label of a ‘superfood’ according to many health experts. Here’s a quick run-down of some of its benefits:
- It’s an anti-inflammatory
- It contains cancer-fighting compounds
- It improves blood pressure and kidney function
- It contains choline, essential for brain health
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals
- It is an excellent source of fiber and supports digestive health
- It supports detoxification
- It’s packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients
So I rest my case – we should all be finding ways to get more cauliflower and cruciferous into our diets.
Super Power Soup
Cauliflower soup is delicious and is one of the easiest ways to get more cauliflower into your life. This Vegan Creamy Cauliflower soup is one of my favorite comforts in the colder weather, and, with the addition of leeks and turmeric it’s jam-packed with anti-inflammatories, anti-oxidants, vitamins, and immunity boosters. Turmeric lends it the bright yellow-orange color.
I added some avocado to this recipe to up the creaminess and the satisfaction factor that comes from healthy fats, and I garnish with detox-boosting parsley and chives. The flavor of this soup is mild yet fresh and satisfying, but you can easily switch it up and spice up your life: keep it simple with a little salt and pepper, bolden the flavor with cumin and curry powder, or give it a kick with some cayenne. This recipe is as versatile as the cauliflower in it!
Vegan Creamy Cauliflower Soup: Recipe
What you need:
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups white ‘stem’ of leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small avocado
- Chopped chives, parsley, and/or fresh herbs of choice for garnish
- Optional: additional spices such as cumin, curry powder, cayenne
How to make:
- Using a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat (medium low if using olive oil). Add garlic, leeks and salt and sauté until the leeks are soft and begin turn golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, turmeric, and black pepper (plus any additional spices of choice), increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil then lower heat to medium/ medium low and simmer for about 20 minutes – until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and cool for a minute while you prepare the avocado.
- In batches, add the soup to your blender or food processor, adding proportional amounts of the avocado. OR, if you have an immersion blender, add the avocado to the pot and blend it all together.
- Return the soup to the pot to warm, stirring thoroughly. Add more sea salt to taste.
- Serve and garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
Sometimes I’ll add a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds or cashews to add a little texture and crunch and a scoop of my collagen peptides* to add some of those essential amino acids.
*Leave out if you want the soup to remain vegan.
[…] warm smoothie? Enter the most magical vegetable of all: cauliflower. As I discussed in my post on cauliflower soup, cauliflower truly is the most versatile vegetable on the planet, and it came to the rescue so many […]
1 Comment on Vegan Creamy Cauliflower Soup